Giving Up is so Hard to Do!!!!

As a middle school teacher in one of the roughest neighborhoods in Memphis, I see first hand what urban education (or the attempt to educate today's children) can do to a person. Just yesterday, a coworker of mine broke down after her students broke into her cabinet and stole all of her personal snacks. Not only did they get her for her food, but they even managed to find her IPOD. Needless to say, the IPOD never resurfaced. Its frustrating as a teacher when you give all you have to your kids and they still feel the need to steal from you. I think that was what really killed her spirit. I don't know her all that well, but I do know that she seems like the kind of person who would give her last to see her kids smile. Now I know you're thinking, why is he talking about teaching when this is a blog about music. Well allow me to explain. As a lover of music, I've always used music as a tool to get me through those tough times in life when words from friends and families were just not enough. Music for me is comparable to Linus' Blanket or my American Express Card....I NEVER leave home without it! 

Its amazing how music can soothe the soul in times of trouble as well as those happy times. Its funny cause I can remember every single moment of my life by popping in an old cd. I can remember where I was when I first heard it, and what was going on in my life at that time. I can truly say my life has a soundtrack. I remember taking my cousin to Arkansas cause the police were looking for him and during the ride we heard "You Don't Have to Cry" by Renee and Angela like 20 times. I remember because every time it came on, he sang every single word! I remember breaking up with my girl in college and listening to Marc Dorsey's "I Crave" for like 3 months! I also remember dealing with adversity on my job and listening to Daryl Coley's "He's Preparing Me!" Music has ushered through my life's journey and I've enjoyed every single step.

With all that being said, my teacher friend reminded me of one of my favorite artists, Mr. Donny Hathaway!!!! She actually told me that she'd gotten so fed up that she'd started listening to "Giving Up is So Hard to DO!" Now that' heavy!!! But if you know anything about Donny's music, he constantly speaks the heavy soul. I'm going to go out on a limb (and its a very short limb cause I can back it up), but black soul music has never and may not for a long time see a talent like his. I listen to Stevie, Luther, and countless other artists, but no one has the power, control, and intensity in their song that Donny gives his listeners....Don't believe me??? Listen to songs like "We Need You Right Now" or "Lord Help Me"!!!! I literally got chill bumps the first time I heard "For All We Know." It was because of Donny that I began to listening to Lalah (his daughter) who has proven to be just as gifted as her father! So if you have some time, do yourself a favor and pick up a Donny Hathaway CD. You won't regret it.


1 comment:

  1. I concur Donny's music is classic, timeless, heartfelt, and relevant. When I first heard "A Song for You" (playing on the opening of Martin L's Run Tel Dat) It almost brought tears to my eyes.

    Music has a way of allowing you to reference time, place, and feelings. There are certain songs that bring back memories like I'm watching a movie. Enjoyed the post.

    ReplyDelete