"September is the month for music in 2011"

After the release of Kanye and Jay-Z’s legendary collaboration that is Watch the Throne, the hip hop world seemed to have its fill of music for 2011. Then in walks Mr. Phonte Coleman, aka Tigallo, aka Hacksaw Jim Thugging….lead singer of the Grammy nominated band The Foreign Exchange and former member of the rap duo Little Brother. From the first time I heard Phonte rhyme I knew this guy was special. Many people today in hip hop get lost in beats and if its not the beats then everyone is obsessed with the belaboring of metaphors. Rarely, do u find that MC who has the right balance of lyrical wizardry that encompasses metaphors as well as masterful story telling in addition to a suitable vocabulary for those post secondary educated listeners of hip hop. In the words of Phonte, “But I’m from the south, where if u ain’t snapping, or rapping bout trapping you’s a freak of nature!” For the last 6 months while everyone has been anticipating the release of the Watch the Throne album, I’ve had my eye set on Phonte’s Charity Starts at Home album.
A week ago today I downloaded (yes I pirate too) a copy of this great album and I haven’t removed it from my cd player since. I even made three copies so that no matter where I am, I can listen to it if I please. From the opening track “Dance in the Reign” to the last track “Who Loves You More”, this album is greatness. Not only is it greatness, but its the greatness that defines Phonte as an artist. Throughout this album, Phonte is true to who he is and what it is he does. My personal favorites are “Not here anymore” where Phonte teams up with Elzhi of Slum Village and 9th Wonder to produce an awesome track. “Ball and Chain” allows us the fans to see the vocal skills which has recently made Phonte the notable figure he is with the group The Foreign Exchange…and lastly, “Who Loves You” feat Eric Roberson is the perfect concluding track in which Phonte exclaims, “I got a room and a microphone, and a family I ain’t seen in months. And I played this record a million times, just hoping you would play it once. Break bread witcha fellow man, show love and look out for your heart. And always take care of home, because Home is where Charity Starts. In the midst of albums like the Carter IV and Watch the Throne, this is my pic of album of the year…no questions asked. But in a world of snappers and trappers, this record will be largely overlooked by mainstream and will remain a jewel buried in the rough. Do yourself a favor and pick up this classic….

No comments:

Post a Comment